A healthy mouth means a healthier you. Keeping on top of your oral hygiene routine at home is vital in preventing dental decay, gum disease and also various other diseases associated with your body. Evidence has shown a link between an unhealthy mouth with heart disease and diabetes. If you have any underlying autoimmune conditions these can also make you more vulnerable to gum disease. By leaving bacteria in the mouth it can easily enter the bloodstream and cause potential risk to the rest of your body.
By keeping on top of your oral hygiene routine at home and seeing a hygienist you can help:
- Prevent gum disease
- Prevent the risk of other health conditions
- Prevent Halitosis (Bad Breath)
- Reduce deposit build-up and staining
- Feel more confident with your smile
What can I do at home to help my gums?
- Brush twice a day for at least 2 minutes (One time during the day and the other last thing at night before bed).
- Use a fluoride toothpaste with at least 1350ppm (parts per million), the concentration of toothpaste can be found on the back of the tube, most well-known brands will contain this concentration.
- Spit don’t rinse after brushing. Rinsing can remove the fluoride from the teeth. Avoid fluoride mouthwash immediately after brushing and wait at least 30minutes.
- Use floss or interdental brushes daily to reduce build-up in between teeth. Your toothbrush can’t effectively reach this area. Floss for some gaps is too fine and interdental wired brushes may be more effective. Your hygienist can check this for you and recommend a suitable size.
- If you notice any bleeding when cleaning, don’t let this put you off. It’s your gums way of telling you there is plaque/bacteria present causing the inflammation. If you concentrate more in that area you should then notice the bleeding reduce over the next couple of weeks
- If you have any concerns please call us on 01507211833 or email us on email@example.com to book an appointment with our hygienist Melissa Wiltshire.
- Alternatively, you can DM us on our Facebook page @koredelhousedentalpractice and we will get back to you.